Thursday, March 30, 2017

{App Review} Zombies, Run! (Free) App

For those who don't know I'm a bit of a zombie nerd, so when I saw Zombies, Run! I wanted it but at the time it was the Zombies, Run! 5k app and costs money granted it was only $1.99 but that required me to put my credit card in and I'm not comfortable with that. So I waited hoping I could get a Google Play gift card from someone for my b-day or X-mas. Then I was on GP looking at apps and this popped up Zombies, Run! (free). I was like oh yeah I have to have that! What sort of zombie/ fitness nut would I be if I didn't get it. I mean come on.
Ok backing up what is Zombies, Run!? It's an app that you can get on your phone or whatever that turning running into a zombie survival game. It's broken up into segments where a radio guy talks to you, in-between you listen to your own music playlist and every now and again pick up supplies. The game also has an online sync with Zombielink so you can check out your progress in the game and see what supplies you have. Only thing is this is still in development, so some functions aren't working right now.
Anyhoo, sadly after downloading the app I had to wait several weeks to actually use it. Running has not been in the cards lately. So last night I decided I would jump on the exercise bike and for shits an' giggles I pulled up the app. I found it had a constant speed mode, while you can't use the chase function in this mode you can still listen to the story. I was a little thrown by the fact that some of it was in mono, which meant I only heard it in one speaker. At first I thought something had happened to my headphones, but when the music came on it was in both. I guess this is to simulate having a headset radio in your ear. 
It's a fun way to keep yourself motivated when running or even cycling. I doubled my usual time on the bike, going 40 minutes to listen to the whole mission. 
I've upgrade to pro which is either $2.99 a month or $19.99 for a year, all in all not a bad price. I've been using Zombies, Run for 2 years now. It keeps me motivated to run. I can use it outside with gps or inside on the treadmill and like I said earlier I can even use it on my bike.
The stories are inventive and interesting. I've found myself more than once putting on an extra burst of speed or running through a leg cramp just because I wanted to hear the next segment or just didn't want the zombies to get me. Seriously there is something disconcerting about hearing zombie groans when your
running through the woods early by yourself in the morning. Hands down this is my absolute favorite app, and I don't want to run without it. Oh I almost forgot every run you pick up supplies which you can use to "build" you own version of Abel Township. It's a fun way to pass the time when your in the waiting room or somewhere boring.
This is the app for those of us who need a little extra motivation to get our butts in gear. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I had not heard of this, but I think my son would LOVE it!! Thanks so much for linking up at Sunday Fitness & Food :-)

    ReplyDelete